Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #4045 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Still, there were some things that bothered me and yeah, SPOILER ALERT:

I liked the humor, but sometimes it distracted from the intended seriousness. Some of it was a bit too campy, like aliens paying for hookers, betting on alien c0ckfights, telling the humans to get off their property while chugging down cat food like a can of beer. It was funny but maybe a bit too funny to really belong in the movie. Despite the alien's crustacean-esque appearance, I still felt the movie made their personalities and mannerisms way too "human" to be truly believable. These are supposed to be aliens, but they didn't act like aliens, which I guess is the joke, but it did bother me.

I also thought the whole subplot about south africans eating aliens to "consume their power" was way too over the top. I would have also liked to see a more complex villian rather than just your typical meatheaded goons. And of course it ends on a cliffhanger. It pissed me off but still, it DOES make me want to see the sequel.

There were also those uncomfortable moments where I felt like I was watching someone play a Halo video game rather than an actual movie.

But overall, it's a really good sci fi action movie and if that's your cup of tea, I highly recommend it. Great fun.
I kind-of liked how the aliens demonstrated human qualities. I mean, they'd been on earth for 20 years. But mainly, the way in which they made the aliens have human-like mannerisms made you relate to them more and feel more sorry for them. I dunno, I liked it. And a lot of aspects of the film I didn't think were funny but instead quite sad because of the social issues they attempted to raise.

I also thought the protagonist was a good/interesting choice for the main character. And it's true that a lot of it felt like I was inside a video game but the action scenes were actually pretty stimulated and I'm normally one to be quite bored by action stuff. I agree about the whole thing with the Nigerians eating the aliens - that was a bit too ridiculous for me. I also think they could have chosen better villains.

But overall I'd have to agree it was a pretty good and entertaining sci-fi; something different from anything I'd seen lately.