Music Banter - View Single Post - Can you be a music lover if you don't play an instrument?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #47 (permalink)
BrianRClover
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrar View Post
confession time, I'm 18 and i still have yet to seriously learn to play an instrument. growing up, my brother played guitar and in my quest to be absolutely nothing like him, i (regretfully) didnt

i've just been thinking how shallow (for lack of a better word) that must make my appreciation of music, never experiencing the time and effort and blood and sweat involved in producing a song

are people who dont play even worthy of listening?
Absolutely man! People who do not play make the best fans! I'm a musician of 10 years and trust me- All though it's fun and I wouldn't trade it for the world, all it does to you is make you listen to everything from a technical standpointe. Before I played, I could listen to just about anything and enjoy it, now my taste are so limited I have to wait months for albums to drop from the 10 bands I actually like.

Having said that, music is freeing and incredibly fun... while being incredibly frustrating... the indie scene which I reside in is much more fun than the mainstream scene which I've also had a small part in... either way, being a musician is all about the amount of passion you have to do so... just keep in mind, whether you're touring the country or jamming in your basement it will change your life as far as music goes.