Music Banter - View Single Post - Jackhammer Stripped
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kamikazi Kat
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I love that you are not afraid to talk about your musical influences without trying to be hip or cool or obscure. As I said before, really looking forward to the rest of this journal!
Yes, I admire that about Jackhammer and other music fans as well. For a short while after discovering some more obscure bands (It kind of started with Mr. Bungle) I went into this whole avant-garde phase, where it wasn't just good enough that I was listening to obscure music, I had to think it was the best out there, and that anything that was more popular and accessible wasn't worth it. That's all in the past now. By past, I guess you could say about half a year ago. That might seem short to many here, but I've only really been into music for about 3 years, so the last half year is a fairly large chunk of my whole "musical journey."

As much as I hate it when people have that elitist attitude now, I'm kind of glad I took a dip into it as I discovered a lot of great bands in the process that I still love today. This site did a great job of introducing me to a greater variety of styles, since I explored a lot of experimental music but didn't get into much else (kind of feels ironic seeing the aim of a lot of experimental music is to push boundaries and such, yet I let it limit my tastes), I noticed a lot of people on here loved some really obscure stuff while still loving the more popular stuff, treating it all as the same thing: good music.

Looking forward to this thread, I always like hearing about people's more personal stories about music, how they got into a particular genre or band, ect. Its a part of music that most people tend to ignore when they write about it. It almost helps me appreciate bands I've never gotten into before, hearing and reading about the band from a different perspective other then one just simply describing it.
Kamikazi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote