Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitarists: Let's see the weaponry
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #91 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_lips_sink_ships View Post
I've got a question for dave. Do you use a detune pedal when playing shoegaze stuffs or was that a wah and volume pedal in your suitcase?
always happy to answer any questions

never even heard of detune pedals before right now haha, i just keep guitars in different tunings. usually strat is standard, LTD is dropped to C a la josh homme.

as for the pedals in my suitcase, yes there are 2 volume pedals and 2 wahs. i use the volume pedals the most, the industry standard is the ernie ball volume pedal, while they're awesome to use as a filter or gate (set them at one spot and they stay there), i like using mine to fake a tremolo effect so i get the cheapest plastic ones out there. being plastic they're obviously low quality but it makes for a rocker pad that can be manipulated way faster by your foot than a EB pedal.

one trick i like pulling with volume pedals is to start in the 'off' position, play a chord, swell up the sound smoothly, then rock the pedal as fast as possible while bringing it back down to nothing. the real trick is to not rock the pedal as far as its full range, just enough to make the sound wobble. it doesn't translate that well in most of my mp3s due to horrible recording quality but it doesn't mean i'm not going for it. the technique also works really well to get dubstep style 'wobble bass' action too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote