Music Banter - View Single Post - The Cake Discography Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #32 (permalink)
Billystyle
Groupie

If I may, I think I'll share my top 10 Cake songs and recommend them to any new listeners.

Motorcade of Generosity
Jolene - Such a great feel good song. I listen to this many early mornings when I'm going outside. Just a quality piece of work. Great lyrics as well.
Rock & Roll Lifestyle - Good humor, nice little jam.
Mr. Mastodon Farm - Such a random song with great little sounds. They really get into their percussion with this one. I've noticed that if you listen to this one in the car, it often makes people look around to see if something is rattling in the car, the song has little clicking sounds as if there's something amiss. Good stuff.

Fashion Nugget
Friend is a Four Letter Word - Still not sure what it is about this song. It's just a classic. I also had it stuck in my head all day once while snowboarding.
Stickshifts & Safetybelts - Such a great song. I think it takes me back to my farm town redneck roots.
Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps - This one is just kind of a fun tune. Great trumpet work.

Prolonging the Magic
Guitar - This song is a work of art. It features the musical saw and plenty of vibraslap (that wood block and ball with a springy metal bar, sounds like a power rattle).
Cool Blue Reason - I love the change of sound. This has a nice slow pace groove to it.

Comfort Eagle
Opera Singer - Little claps and short guitar riffs and of course trumpet make this a fun song.
Arco Arena - This song is just a short instrumental piece. It's a short example of what I'd love to hear more of; Cake jamming on their instruments. If I remember right, they opened with this the one time I saw them live.

Pressure Chief - Haven't quite got as into this album yet, and didn't want to make the list go past 10. Perhaps this is the week I'll give it more of a chance.

Great thread TheBig3KilledMyRainDog! Thanks!