Music Banter - View Single Post - Flying Lotus
Thread: Flying Lotus
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzyme View Post
damn...i'm a n00b, but you kids must be n00bs to this style...
listen to : dabrye, caural, and dilla.

flylo elaborates on these styles, particularly the Detroit sound (Dabrye and Dilla, who inspired Dabrye), when it comes to beat structure. Trip-hop it is not. Massive Attack drew the blueprint for trip-hop (which isn't cold, it's soulful...it's a mix of dub, jazz, and hip-hop), elaborating on the Wild Bunch Sound System sound; Portishead soon followed. FlyLo's style isn't quite like it.

P.S., noobs ....it's called glitch-hop (although not nearly as out there as syndrone/machine drum)
No need to come in here with a condescending attitude.

I agree with you on Dabrye and Dilla having influenced Flying Lotus to no end. I'd include Prefuse 73 in there too.

And the term glitch-hop is definitely appropriate for this stuff, but wasn't around (to my knowledge) in the early part of the decade...the only thing I could personally think to call this stuff was trip-hop (and I'm not the only one). Partly due to my lack of familiarity with the Bristol scene, and partly because the name really does fit the music, hip-hop beats that literally feel like they're tripping over each other. Hip-hop and IDM (the glitch and abstract element), basically. But ever since discovering Flying Lotus and even Dabrye before that, I've struggled to apply that same label (trip-hop) to them because it just didn't seem to fit like it did for Prefuse (to me). Glitch hop definitely works better and I think that's why the term has become more popular recently, many new artists have emerged following the footsteps of Dilla/Dabrye/Flying Lotus.

Anyway, life is a learning process. We don't all come out of the cannon knowing everything there is to know about everything.

As for Caural...never really got into him personally, seemed pretty boring.