Music Banter - View Single Post - New prog
Thread: New prog
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #69 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certif1ed View Post
Probably not - unless your guide actually discusses the music.

I've read so many articles and guides etc. and none actually tell the truth about the music - words like "complex" and "progressive" crop up with no substantiation.

I worked on the Wikipedia entry on "Classic" Prog for ages trying to get it to an accurate and verifiable state. It's probably been vandalised again, coz I haven't looked at it for ages - but I never could get anyone to help with Modern Prog, and I'm beginning to think that the reason is that Modern Prog is just a style of ordinary rock music, undeserving of the Prog prefix.

Not bad music - just not Prog.

I'd be really interested to read your article - apologies for being skeptical, but I'm bored of flowery tributes that merely exist to praise favourite bands, and would like something technical that actually informs me - which I'm sure yours will do
Well, although I can't guarantee it's going to change your mind or anything, what I'm writing is basically a technical overview of sorts, using 11 albums as guideposts, of how progressive rock has interacted with various modern approaches and the various results of that interaction, along with clarifying why most bands who embrace the "prog." label aren't really doing justice to the term.

IOW: don't be expecting Spock's Beard or any neo-prog.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.