Music Banter - View Single Post - Jackhammer Stripped
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

John Martyn

Fanboys. They annoy the hell out of me but guess what? I am a fanboy. I have constantly eulogised about this man to the point of becoming utterly annoying but I just cannot help myself.

In the summer of 1998 I heard a chillout remix of him for the first time and I was immediately transfixed by his voice. After reading up a little on the man I bought his 'classic' album 'Solid Air' and was smitten.

John Martyn is an artist that has encompassed Folk, Blues, Funk, Soul, Trip Hop and Jazz into a highly personal and individual sound. His first album was recorded at the age of 19 in 3 days and was highly welcomed in folk circles but even by his 3rd album he was experimenting with new sounds and techniques. This is not to say that he was on the cutting edge of music at all. It was more of a pointer to the man behind the music. A bear of a man at 6'4" and 200 pounds with an already notorious propensity for alcohol, he almost always appeared on stage already pissed up. This in itself is nothing new within music but the juxtaposition between his own personality and deeply personal stage shows makes for fascinating listening and an endearing and honest approach to music that is always refreshing.

He formed a musical relationship with the double Bass player Danny Thompson (himself a notorious hellraiser) in the early 70's that survived at various times until Martyn's death Jan 2009. This relationship was one of the most symbiotic in music and produced some absolutely incredibley honest and poignant music that must have been almost spiritual to witness live.

Martyn is one of the few artists I have heard that pours every single part of his being and emotion into his music without ever falling into sentimental claptrap and banality.

Each and every year I fall deeper under his spell of searingly honest and heartfelt music. This is a guy who wrote a whole album to his ex wife begging for one more chance, even knowing that his huge personality would still dwarf their love.

Everyone has an emotional connection to music but very very few artists physically choke me up whilst simultaneously confirming the cathartic value of music and the power of a few struck chords.

I may seem to be over praising Martyn to the point of martyrdom (he died of a massive attack earlier this year and had to perform in a wheelchair in his last few years) but his music and lyrics provide me with one of the rare instances of music being much more than the sum of it's parts.

By far my favourite solo artist and probably the only man ever to bring me to tears solely through his music.

Recommended albums:

Bless The Weather (1971)
One World (1977)
On The Cobbles (2004)

DVD:
John Martyn at the BBC.

His brilliant acoustic-electric use of guitar:

His work with Danny Thompson:

John Martyn stripped bare:

R.I.P

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote