Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitarists: Let's see the weaponry
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #96 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

floppy strings means saggy tone, and at the tunings you're talking about, its going to be like playing rubber bands.

trust me on this, an SG can't support that tuning. No way no how. Hell, I just bought a 7 string and the low B is a difficult proposition, even on a 25.5 scale. I'm actually using a .066 guage string on it right now, which is very slightly TOO thick, but not by a massive amount.

Go for a long scale guitar if you need low tunings. Maybe even buy a baritone, where the 27" scale will make a really good difference.

Also, thinner or less tense strings are harder to keep in tune, exacerbating that problem is a bad idea.

ALSO, even if you're thinking 'Just use thicker strings', bear in mind that the thicker you make a string, regardless of tuning, the more sharp its going to be when you first pluck it. On a low B, with a crazy thick string, that can often be exacerbated to the extent you're noticably out of tune when you're playing at one level of force, and IN tune when playing exactly the same thing at another level of force.

BUY A LONGER SCALE GUITAR FOR LOW TUNINGS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote