Music Banter - View Single Post - Family and Children's Music
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Liljagare
Music Addict

When I was a young child, I enjoyed alot of different kinds of music. I think it was only in school that I became more introduced to what would be classified as "pedagogical music" that has a clear learning purpose even though my mother is a teacher. As a teacher, I enjoy bringing music into school and alot of the kids I work with enjoy the same songs I liked as a kid but I also like to incorparate alot of more modern music. I think it is interesting that alot of children's music today does incorporate more modern beats than the music I listened to in school but whether its "Hard Rock Hallelujah" or "Boy Named Sue", kids enjoy music of all sorts. Astrid Lindgrens music will always be popular here in Sweden (such as Idas Sommarvisa Youtube Idas Sommarvisa (With Video)) and I really like everything she ever wrote but I really like using English music in my classes for ESL purposes (when I am working with older kids but I use alot with the younger kids as well). To me, songs like "Sweet Child of Mine" by GNR or "Africa" by Toto are valuable in learning and the kids find it more fun to work with these type of tunes.

What childrens songs do I hate? I hate childrens songs that are, as you say, "oversimplistic". But then I am grown and what I like does not always click with younger kids. Also what is oversimplistic to me might just be at the right level for that child..thereby not oversimplistic to them. There is a techno version of childrens tunes sung by Peaches (they sang "Rosa Helikopter" YouTube - Rosa Helikopter - Peaches ) that we have in our school that kids really seem to like that I don't like at all. In fact I have had to beg them to please change the song at times (there are only so many times one can hear the techno version of "Imse Vimse Spindel" aka Itsy Bitsy Spider) But what can I say .

Last edited by Liljagare; 09-09-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Liljagare is offline   Reply With Quote