Music Banter - View Single Post - Muse
Thread: Muse
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #599 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_nothing View Post
I'm not surprised about the negative reactions it has gotten here. It's different than anything they've done before. It has more good beats than it does guitar riffs, which I guess since Muse are known for their epic guitar tracks might upset people. The album's sound takes the big stadium anthems of Blackholes to an extreme, all of these songs were made for arenas. This one also makes a lot more use of Matt's piano than their previous albums. Which I don't mind because he's a just as amazing at piano as he is on guitar. I've listened through the album about 5 times now, and I have to say I think it's pretty great, not exactly great, but close. But definitely better than their last album and maybe better than Absolution. Their are a couple of tracks I see as filler like Guiding Light which is a typical ballad & MK ULTRA. I Belong to You has a nice sex appeal to it, but the french parts will probably turn some people off. The Exogenesis Symphony is the highlight of the album but my only complaint is that it's too short. The title track is a good catchy song, my guess is it will be their next single. I really like it's intro; the ominous snyth and thundering drums and the distance. Speaking of drums I think this album could be Dom's shining moment. They constantly demand attention throughout the album, Chris' bass is almost unnoticeable. Though most Muse fans may not like their new sound, I find it enjoyable.

Fav tracks:
Exogenesis Symphony
Undisclosed Desires
Resistance
Uprising
I Belong to You
USE
Unnatural Selection
MK Ultra
Guiding Light
It definitely makes more use of beats and piano than any of their other albums. I have always liked this side to them too, tracks like Endlessly and Space Dementia being among my favourites.

I'm still not too sure what to make of it but i'm on my third listen and even though I feel there is too much filler and not enough quality there are certainly highlights and tracks that will definitely fit very well into their live sets.

I will have an opinion that is more one way or the other in time but I guess for now im sitting on the fence a little.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote