Music Banter - View Single Post - Can Length Ruin An Album?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #42 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
For me it depends a lot on what the format is. Having some crappy songs in the mix on an album I have as MP3s isn't that big a deal but on vinyl it becomes a totally different story and I would absolutely go with album A in your example. I guess because I grew up in the vinyl and cassette era have a lot of holdover feelings that filler really does detract from my listening experience quite a bit.
I can see that. As I recall, we're around the same age...as a kid, it was all vinyl and cassettes, but I was about 12-13 when CDs really began to be the dominant form (around 1990 or so), so the majority of my music-aware life has been with CDs. Even prior to mp3s, it was possible to program past weaker tracks.

I understand the preference for "pristine albums," but, especially at this point when I listen to almost everything in iTunes or on an iPod, I just want as many good songs as possible. I still have an automatic connection to album format...most of my listening is done on a per-album basis, rather that mixes of disparate tracks. But I feel no remorse in cutting out weak tracks on an album.