Music Banter - View Single Post - Can Length Ruin An Album?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #44 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
What if the 10 song album lasts longer than the 15 song album? Do you then think 'oh it's more music so i'm getting more money's worth'?
Possibly. It depends on whether the songs are longer due to simple repetition. Any song can be extended arbitrarily long by repeating the hook more times. So, it depends on whether the 10 longer songs really feel like they're giving me more music experience.

Quote:
I've heard many 'unreleased tracks' of songs that were left of albums & given as extras for re-masters. And I would say 99 times out of 100 there's a perfectly good reason they were unreleased, that was they weren't very good and would have added nothing to the finished article.
Leaving aside percentage hit rate on "potential album material," my opinion is, feel free to stick it on. If it's any good, I'm better off. If it's not, I'll ignore it. No-risk proposition for me, as far as I'm concerned.