Music Banter - View Single Post - Can Length Ruin An Album?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #47 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
I can see that. As I recall, we're around the same age...as a kid, it was all vinyl and cassettes, but I was about 12-13 when CDs really began to be the dominant form (around 1990 or so), so the majority of my music-aware life has been with CDs. Even prior to mp3s, it was possible to program past weaker tracks.

I understand the preference for "pristine albums," but, especially at this point when I listen to almost everything in iTunes or on an iPod, I just want as many good songs as possible. I still have an automatic connection to album format...most of my listening is done on a per-album basis, rather that mixes of disparate tracks. But I feel no remorse in cutting out weak tracks on an album.
Sounds like we're pretty much the exact same age (I was 13 in 1990). But I didn't own a CD player until I was 15 and I had tapedecks in my cars, which were the main places I listened to music, all the way into my early 20s (at which point I stopped owning cars) so the impact of cassettes on me was pretty substantial throughout my formative years.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote