Music Banter - View Single Post - Can Length Ruin An Album?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #59 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
If I put on an album that has been rereleased with extra tracks such as proto-versions of the songs, I often leave the extras out of the playlist. I also tend to leave them out when I write reviews .. The reason is they were not intended as part of the original product and including them as part of the whole can turn an otherwise nicely timed and exciting album into a long and repetitive one.
I do this as well, especially for something like a review. I usually still listen to the bonus tracks at some point, but not as part of the album. In my MP3 library I change the album name for those to "album name [Bonus Tracks]" to remind myself.

Back in the day though I acquired many albums that had extra tracks and I didn't know they were extra tracks...for instance the US release came with bonus tracks and I didn't know any different, and they weren't clearly identified as such on the back of the CD, or an album that came out in the vinyl/cassette years and the primary CD issue includes bonus tracks. Examples being several of Skinny Puppy's early albums (the CD version of Bites has 17 tracks, original vinyl/cassette had 9; the original Remission was a 6-track EP but the CD release has 11 tracks, etc), and Aphex Twin's Richard D. James album...I only recently discovered that the original UK version was 5 tracks shorter. So I got used to all those albums being as long as they are, it would feel strange to now separate the bonus tracks...but if I did, the albums would probably feel more solid.