Music Banter - View Single Post - Can Length Ruin An Album?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:22 AM   #70 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
I do this as well, especially for something like a review. I usually still listen to the bonus tracks at some point, but not as part of the album. In my MP3 library I change the album name for those to "album name [Bonus Tracks]" to remind myself.

Back in the day though I acquired many albums that had extra tracks and I didn't know they were extra tracks...for instance the US release came with bonus tracks and I didn't know any different, and they weren't clearly identified as such on the back of the CD, or an album that came out in the vinyl/cassette years and the primary CD issue includes bonus tracks. Examples being several of Skinny Puppy's early albums (the CD version of Bites has 17 tracks, original vinyl/cassette had 9; the original Remission was a 6-track EP but the CD release has 11 tracks, etc), and Aphex Twin's Richard D. James album...I only recently discovered that the original UK version was 5 tracks shorter. So I got used to all those albums being as long as they are, it would feel strange to now separate the bonus tracks...but if I did, the albums would probably feel more solid.
Tagging them as bonus tracks is a good workaround and I try to do that myself. The problem with bonus tracks is biggest I think when it's proto versions of songs you've already heard before on the album. My version of Caravan's For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night (1973) has 5 extra tracks to the original 7. Only one of those is "new", the rest are proto-versions .. they're nice but by including them in the while picture and overall album opinion, you get so much repetition and inferior versions of the previous songs.

CDs should've had two sides like LPs .. then they could put extras on the other side.