Music Banter - View Single Post - Awesome 5 Year Periods in Music History!
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Default Awesome 5 Year Periods in Music History!

Heya!

In this thread, tell us about a 5-year period you like in music history and let us know why you like it - something that happened for each of those five years. You don't have to write a lot, but add some historical facts of more or less personal importance. I'll go first, then you can follow my lead. Of course, if you just want to add to, rip on or comment on years/events, that's fine.

1969 - 1973

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew is released which will have major influence on the birth and future of later jazz fusion. Bowie's Space Oddity and Leo Kottke's second album 6- and 12-String Guitar are released. King Crimson and Led Zeppelin release debut albums. Deep Purple play with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, supposedly the first elaborate collaboration of that kind.

Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman and B.B. King's excellent Indianola Mississippi Seeds are released. Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Gentle Giant and Black Sabbath debuts! On the other hand, Beatles disbands and Jimi Hendrix dies

More awesome releases than you can shake a stick at. Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink, Comus' First Utterance, Gentle Giant's Acquiring the Taste, ELP's Tarkus (yes, I like), Led Zeppelin IV, Samla Mammas Manna's self-titled debut and Yes' Fragile to name a few. Weather Report and ELO debuts!

More loveable releases. Deep Purple's Machine Head, Wishbone Ash's Argus, Gentle Giants' Octopus, Yes' Close to the Edge, Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, Return to forever's self-titled debut and Bowie's Ziggy Stardust to name a few!

Many more awesome albums released this year. Caravan's For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night, Frank Zappa's Over-Nite Sensation. Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies, Genesis' Selling England by the Pound, ZZ Top's debut Tres Hombres, Samla Mammas Manna's MÃ¥ltid .. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

As you can see, my mentions often tie up with the birth of prog with a bit of fusion and hard rock events thrown in. I see it turned out to be more about releases than other kind of events, but oh well Your turn!