Music Banter - View Single Post - Clutch - Strange Cousins from the West
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

sorry dude, i know they're one of your favourites but i can't get behind this album. i'll have to give it another listen or two. musically there are a few tracks that piqued my interest. though i'm really surprised they chose to strip down and minimize their sound now that they had full control.

as for Fallon's vocals, i found the paranoid social commentary to overshadow any lyrical wit present. by the end of the album i found it overbearing. there's no feeling of having his tongue firmly planted in his cheek with his delivery either, i'm not getting the feeling that he's joking about his belief that a supernatural act will change the future sooner than later. or how the government is keeping him down or coming after him.

what i liked most about their older material was the lyrical depth present. there was always some sort of socio-political message present but it was always hidden way deep inside some odd little story and now those metaphors have been stripped to the bone if used at all.

i guess it's a departure for the band, and i guess it's up to me to choose whether or not i tag along. at this point i'm not rushing to be first in line along their new path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote