Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitarists: Let's see the weaponry
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #99 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
it's not bending the strings that becomes the issue when tuning low. the challenge is NOT bending the strings when trying to play a chord.

GB is also right about the thick strings going sharp when they're new. you REALLY need to stretch them out and wear them down a bit before they get 'in tune'. it's not something to consider if you're one of those guys that prefers using fresh strings and can accurately remember the last time they changed the whole set of them.

and while the SG is nice have you considered the ESP/LTD Viper series? similar but still unique, cheaper, and usually loaded with EMGs so you get less hum if you run a lot of effects.

The ESP Guitar Company :: LTD Deluxe Guitars - Viper-1000 Series
Its not just if they're new btw. The main factors that cause it are tension and thickness. It happens worse if they're new because the strings are more elastic and therefore effective tension is lower, but it still happens on any age of string.

My 7 string has a .66 on the low B and it still goes sharp when you whack it hard, and i've been playing the crap out of it for a couple weeks now. And thats on a guitar with the more 'correct ' scale of 25.5", which should minimise the effect. End of the day, I'd say a B tuning on a short scale guitar is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 09-14-2009 at 06:31 AM.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote