Music Banter - View Single Post - My Thrash Metal Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #93 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

Punk was always in the mix - it was the energy that drove the NWOBHM bands like Iron Maiden, Venom etc and made the difference between them and Priest, UFO, Scorps etc - but Engine is right - Hardcore is where the sound and approach - if not the style - of thrash began to crystallise.

Bad Brains, The Misfits and Minor Threat did play some numbers that verged on thrash - in Bad Brains case, I concede, they actually played it. Other bands notable for playing some very fast songs (not as a rule, but one or two numbers) include Black Flag and Husker Du.

Is it me, or does the Minor Threat track sound a bit like The UK Subs?;

Good point on Motorhead - "On Parole" should have been released before "Damned Damned Damned" (IIRC, that was the first punk album, not "Never Mind the Bollocks", which was actually 3rd, behind The Vibrators). If UA had had the guts to release it, maybe Punk would have lost its impact and never taken off the way it did?

It would have been nice if Motorhead could have kept their original band name too - they were going to be called Bastards (in reference to Hawkwind, who kicked Lemmy out when he got caught in possession of amphetamines).

However, Motorhead never actually played thrash, as far as I can tell, and their influence is somewhat indirect, unlike Priest.

Even Saxon, who were faster as well as louder than Motorhead didn't thrash (despite their song "Princess of the Night" making a guest appearance in the Metallica song "Seek and Destroy")

(Saxon are always value for money!)

It'd be cool to get a compilation of tracks that led directly, rather than indirectly to thrash. I still reckon "Exciter" is the first, but its the stuff that was floating around in the late 1970s and very early 1980s that's most interesting - unless there are actual examples pre 1978...

Last edited by Certif1ed; 09-14-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Added Saxon vid on a whim...
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote