Music Banter - View Single Post - Tore's Treasure Trove v2.0 - Album Reviews!
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Default The Earl Scruggs Revue - Anniversary Special Vol.1 (1975)

The Earl Scruggs Revue - Anniversary Special Vol.1 (1975)

1. Banjo Man
  2. Swimming Song
  3. Gospel Ship
  4. Bleeker Street Rag
  5. Royal Majesty
  6. Rollin' in My Dreams
  7. Song to Woody
  8. Third Rate Romance
  9. Hey Porter
  10. Passing Through

Introduction :

Artists on this album : Earl Scruggs and his two sons, Johnny Cash, Joan Baez, Billy Joel, Anita, Ruth and Issa Pointer (The Pointer Sisters) and many more

Most famous for his work with Lester Flatt (Flatt & Scruggs), Earl Scruggs is a country giant and considered a pioneer in the bluegrass genre for his influence on banjo playing. He started playing the instrument at 4 years of age and when he was 10, he invented the Scruggs-style picking, a play-style utilizing three fingers instead of the two-finger style. He rose to fame after he joined the band Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys in late 1945. In 1948, Earl and fellow bandmate Lester broke out and started the duo Lester & Flatt who's most famous song is Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

If you haven't watched this video of Scruggs and various other musicians performing the Foggy Mountain Breakdown, then .. get to it! It is awesome!

Anyways, in 1969 he left the Flatt and Scruggs duo and instead started The Earl Scruggs Revue with his two sons and more guest artists than you can throw a very large stick at. They produced a handful of good albums, Anniversary Special Vol. 1 being one of them. It features a small heap of popular guest artists like Johnny Cash and a good selection of well-chosen cover songs, many or most written by the various guests.

Song for Song Review :

The album starts out with a catchy bluegrass banjo tune called Banjo Man, a great bluegrassy and loveable song about listening to your favourite banjo picker on the radio. The album then continues in the same vein with the absolutely lovely Swimming Song which is a feelgood song about swimming. By the sound of it, it might also be about overcoming the fear of swimming. Ghospel ship features a variety of guest artists doing vocals, among them Mr. Cash and Bleeker Street Rag is a fast banjo-driven instrumental piece which will make your head bop and your legs move. Royal Majesty is a ghospely, soulful, southerny hymn to Jesus, the kind I imagine might have been sung in american baptist churches. I'll admit it's not the kind of thing I usually listen to, but this track nails just that clichè sound and that makes it sort of enjoyable for me.

Rollin' in my Dreams is a relatively straightforward rock ballad while Song to Woody again cranks up the bluegrass feel. Third Rate Romance is a rock 'n roll tune with some great performances by what I guess must be the Pointer Sisters. Hey Pointer is another song that Johnny Cash has almost all to himself. He gets quite a lot of time on this album and this may be his most enjoyable contribution. Passing Through is another Jesus-song that, aside from not wanting my neighbours to think I've seen the light, makes for a better listen than I thought it would be. It feels slightly parodic with some funny vocal performances, but what the hell. It's overall impression is good.

Review Summary :

Needless to say, the Scruggs happily pick their way through most tracks on the album and gives that extra touch of bluegrass to the songs. The overall impression is that it's a feelgood album. It makes me think of hot days in the sun and I just wish I had a piece of straw to chew on and a banjo of my own. The songs are not all amazing, in fact there are few here that will stick with me long after a couple of spins on this album, but they are good even if they are not the kind of songs you'll take to heart and love forever. Banjo Man and Swimming song are definetly my favourites and are both swell tunes, but the latter being made up almost entirely of refrain makes for a lack of replay value.

Anyways, the album has some range, from feely rock songs to ghospels to bluegrass, so most should find a song or two that they like here. If you're not a fan of Earl Scruggs, then admirers of Johnny Cash should at least find several exciting bits here. Recommended!

Toretorden's Treasure Trove score : 4/6

Favourite tracks : Banjo Man, Swimming Song, Bleeker Street Rag, Hey Porter