Music Banter - View Single Post - Does being a musician affect the way you hear/enjoy music?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
There are a few budding musicians on here and I was wondering whether this affects what you listen to. Do you listen to chord progressions, arrangements and general musicianship first? or doesn't it matter at all?

As a non muso I would like to think I can tell good composition from bad but does being a musician benefit you in this?
For me it does and it drives me crazy. A lot of the time when I listen to music I listen out for what key it is in, what time signature it is in, what the chord progressions are like, and wonder if I could play it. It also means that sometimes I am way to critical of songs because I can pick out musical blunders.

That being said, I can also just sit back and enjoy a song for what it is without getting into the musical technicalities. Some musicians (e.g. my flatmates) are so picky when it comes to music that they tear everything a part and have ridiculously high standards. I'm glad I'm not like this.