Music Banter - View Single Post - Pourmeanother's Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting Room
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
pourmeanother
Saaaad Panda

The Big Come Up (2002)

1. Busted
2. Do The Rump
3. I’ll Be Your Man
4. Countdown
5. Breaks
6. Run Me Down
7. Leavin’ Trunk
8. Heavy Soul
9. She Said, She Said
10. Them Eyes
11. Yearnin’
12. Brooklyn Bound
13. 240 Years Before Your Time
The Big Come Up is the debut album for the duo known as The Black Keys, featuring Patrick Carney on drums, and Dan Auerbach on guitar and vocals. One-third of the album is comprised of covers—RL Burnside’s “Busted”, Junior Kimbrough’s “Do The Rump”, Muddy Waters’ “Run Me Down”, and The Beatles’ “She Said, She Said”. That does not take away from the talent and creativity of these two, mostly that of Dan Auerbach.

As with other artists in the genre, the album appear to be rather minimalist. It’s minimalist enough for people to notice, but not so much so as to turn them off from it like other duos and trios. Listening to each track is becomes apparent that this album is heavily guitar driven. At times you forget this is a duo, as opposed to a single man with an electric guitar and a fuzzy amp.

“Busted” is a heavy start to the album; it really wakes you up in the last minute, and kicks things off with a bang. Right around “Countdown”, Dan Auerbach’s creativity on guitar starts to show, and doesn’t let up. “She Said, She Said” seems out of place, and the album takes an interesting turn at that point, with potential to derail—only to get back on track, if you will, with a catchy riff and soulful vocals in “Brooklyn Bound”. The track starts off ominous and slow, only to build speed… Till Auerbach proclaims ‘Oh, I’m going East darlin’/Hope you burn in hell’, which is followed by a one minute eargasm. Woah!

A lot of people’s first taste of TBKs (although, probably not most on MB) was the 2008 album Attack & Release, which is unfortunate, ‘cause this album is a polar opposite—and many may find it harder to get into as a result. This garage/blues/rock release is worth listening to, and certainly is not money (or time, if downloading) wasted.

Rating: 4/5
(1-sh!t/good frisbee…..2-subpar/gathering dust…..3-decent/listenable…..4-good/repeat value…..5-excellent/”desert island” top __ quality)

Marquee Tracks (In order of appearance on album): “Busted”, “Countdown”, “Breaks”, “Leavin’ Trunk”, “Heavy Soul”, “Brooklyn Bound”

You may have heard...: "I'll Be Your Man" is the theme song for the HBO series Hung. The more you know...

Dan Auerbach--The Black Keys at The Fox Theater in Oakland, CA
And waiting for blah
And hoping you were right about the blahs you made
And then, just when you think you've got the whole blah'd damn thing figured out
And you're surrounded by the ones you blah
Death shows up... anddd blah, blah, blah.

Last edited by pourmeanother; 09-15-2009 at 03:54 AM.
pourmeanother is offline   Reply With Quote