Music Banter - View Single Post - Awesome 5 Year Periods in Music History!
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

1965-1973.

Sorry about the extra 3 years, but 1973 is probably the best year in rock music ever, while 1965 is the most innovative, and everything really exciting happened in between, and nowadays, it's all a rehash of what was done in that 8-year period.

And I was just too young to say "I was there". Meh.

1965. Bob Dylan pugged in at Newport, bringing serious music into the world of rock. The Beatles release "Rubber Soul", the Byrds release 8 Miles High, The Grateful Dead form as possibly the first ever psychedelic band at Kesey's Acid Tests. And that's only the start.

1966. Revolver and Pet Sounds. Jefferson Airplane and The Matrix. 1,000,000 volt sound and light rave, featuring Delia Derbyshire and the ONLY performance of Paul McCartney's sole electronic composition (IIRC - maybe that was next year)

1967. Where to begin? Legendary year. Pink Floyd's "Piper at the Gate of Dawn" and everything else that happened...

1968. Continuation of legendary year into Progressive. The Nice release the first Prog Rock album. The Blue Cheer's "Vincebus Eruptum" causes the first blast against "serious" music like Prog Rock. Although I didn't mention The Fugs earlier... there's just too much to mention it all

1969. Woodstock, Hyde Park and Altamont. King Crimson. Abbey Road.

1970. Black Sabbath and loads of other great music, especially in Germany. Great funk too from Funkadelic, jazz rock and all kinds of other treats.

1971. Queen and loads of other great music. "Trespass" by Genesis. Some great music coming out of Italy. Prog Rock really gaining traction among musicians everywhere except the US, it seems.

1972. Loads of great music. Hunky Dory, Nursery Cryme. Must be something else - my mind's gone temporarily blank... never mind.

1973 - Greatest year in rock. You can practically pick an album at random from this year, and it'll be a classic. Even debuts were great - check out Blue Oyster Cult's debut.

Last edited by Certif1ed; 09-15-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote