Music Banter - View Single Post - Tore's Treasure Trove v2.0 - Album Reviews!
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I`m a huge fan of Megadeth as well and would far sooner listen to their stuff than say Metallica for example, this has largely to do with Dave Mustaine and his brand of Thrash along with his unique signing style.

I think you must have watched the same Megadeth documentary as me as knew everything that you had written about Dave Mustaine, stuff that makes him one of the most interesting personalities in the history of rock.

As far as their albums go, Rust in Peace is their definitive work, hey! I would even say its one of the greatest metal releases ever, the album also has a manic energy that is unbelievable at times. As for Countdown to Extinction, its also a great album but the group are pushing in a more commercial direction and as you say, was around the same time as the Black album and that took some of its thunder away, even though I think its a far more enjoyable album. I think the opening riff on "Symphony of Destruction" followed by Dave`s vocals to be unforegettable.

I`ve never decided on their best line up, whether it be Chris Poland or Marty Friedman on Guitar, or Gars Samuelson or Nick Menza on drums.

Megadeth are one of those groups that I can listen to all day and every day.
I have a Megadeth DVD which is basically about the band with a lot of interviews with Mr. Ellefson and others. As you know, David's left the band now which is a pity, seemed he was the one who stuck with Dave the longest (I recently saw him play bass in a band that warmed up for Heaven & Hell by the way). I have a lot of sympathy for Dave. Even if he's undeniably quite douchy now and then and has seen the light etc .. he's still more metal than most out there, certainly more metal than contemporaries Metallica.

Countdown to Extinction was my first Megadeth album just like Black album was my first Metallica album. I know they're not the cool albums to like with the die-hard fans, but it's just the way it turned out for me. Still, Megadeth has tons of great stuff and I find something to appreciate on even their worst records. Favourite tracks at the moment are probably The Scorpion from The System has Failed (2004) and Sleepwalker from United Abominations (2007) which are both very recent albums .. To me, Dave's still got it even if he's a converted christian straight-edge smallholder.