Music Banter - View Single Post - Does being a musician affect the way you hear/enjoy music?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

I did this for a short while after I started playing guitar. I would over analyze every song and didn't listen to music that didn't have really cool guitar parts. So I started listening to The Shaggs, Swell Maps, James Chance and the Contortions, Lightning Bolt, Sonic Youth and the likes. Now I'm not saying by any means that these people are bad musicians (except the Shaggs... they are fun to listen to but as far as musical talent goes... no) but I don't know enough to even begin to understand what the **** they are doing on their instruments. I wasn't at all able to analyze it (I may have tried a bit, but try tuning your guitar for Bad Moon Rising) and just started to enjoy listening to the music again. I took that and went back to music with artists that aren't really good at their instruments. Sometimes I'll do it, but if I just want to enjoy music then I listen for the sound rather than their technical abilities.
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote