Music Banter - View Single Post - Instrumental Indecision Crisis
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
Have you ever tried the clarinet? Cheap, easy to learn, and it lends itself well to different styles of music.

The use of the flute in genres like rock is underrated. I guess because the instrument was not intended to play that type of music!
JETHRO TULL.

Anyway - Tyrant, we're giving you a hard time on the practice thing because its something we've all seen before, as musicians, and we know that a lot of young musicians will pick it up, and they'll make an effort, and try, but they'll only do it for a month or two. Or they'll do it for a long time, but they'll never get anywhere because they only practice maybe once a week, and it becomes something they don't like doing purely because they arent any good at it. The thought process goes from 'lets try this' and more towards 'I've been doing this for ages why aren't I good?'

And lets not forget multiinstrumentalists. The fact is, in my opinion, nobody has an instrument that is 'their instrument', its all a matter of the willingness to do what it takes to learn properly. Even a guitarist who practices regularly for a whole year will sound comparitively awful next to someone who has done it for 3, and that IS discouraging to some people, and it leads to one of two things. Either dropping the instrument, or in some cases, developing a level of scorn towards those people who are technically more skilled. (IE, Punks reaction to glam excess and technical musicianship) For me, it was a drive to get that good, and keep going after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote