Music Banter - View Single Post - Instrumental Indecision Crisis
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
Have you ever tried the clarinet? Cheap, easy to learn, and it lends itself well to different styles of music.

The use of the flute in genres like rock is underrated. I guess because the instrument was not intended to play that type of music!

I sold my first flute to a beginner student for $100, which is a steal considering it was evaluated at $400. I kept it in good condition.

They are relatively cheap. That depends on one's definition of "cheap." My first flute, a beginner's flute, was $600 Canadian. I wouldn't have a clue about how many Euros that is The flute that I have now cost $2500. It's an intermediate level flute! I've seen the real professional ones go up to $16,000...
I got me a bran new flute which was 1100 NOKs which is about ~190 USD I got it from a guy who imported instruments from China. He even drove to the biological institute and delivered it in person! It's probably not the best flute out there, but it was new and I'm happy with it - great for practice!

Stuff like that is usually very expensive in Norway and I was expecting to pay a lot more for a new instrument. I was quite surprised at the price and I'm sure you could get it even cheaper in America where there's more competition in the market.

I also had the choice of buying second hand flutes, but most of the ones I found were a bit nobby with gold details and so on so they were usually a bit more expensive, but still not bad. 100 dollars for a 400 dollar flute sounds like the student got a bargain