Music Banter - View Single Post - Flower Child's
Thread: Flower Child's
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #99 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower Child View Post
SONG: Lightning Crashes
ARTIST: Live
ALBUM: Throwing Copper

Live was a one hit wonder band, but man was their one hit good! The year of this album was 1994 just so you know.

There is something so up close and personal about this song. It sounds as if the lead singer is singing really softly, almost a whisper, right into your ear. A very interesting guitar riff, reminds me of the Velvet Underground's riff in "Pale Blue Eyes". Swaying and gentle, is how I would describe it. Its sounds as if the guitar moves closer to you then further away. As soon as you get comfortable with this soft beat and whispering lyrics, the lead singer gives the song an little burst of life and energy, but surprises me by falling right back into his whisper. But eventually when the lyrics take a more dramatic turn, he permanently heightens the feeling and emotion in his voice. I feel so satisfied when he finally does this, because the suspense has built up enormously throughout the song at this point. And I have to mention the lyrics....not the most conventional lyrics of a grungy type band, which only makes the song stand out that much more.
This is a great song. I'm glad you can post about your love for it without worrying what others will think! Because as far as I've discovered, Live aren't a very admired band. But you're right, Lightening Crashes is a beautiful song, I'm not really familiar with much of their other stuff but I've always really enjoyed this song.