Music Banter - View Single Post - Yodeling
Thread: Yodeling
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
My only experience comes from my childhood and a man we called "the yodeller" (for obvious reasons).
The story went that his wife had drowned in the canal and that he'd had some kind of breakdown and thereafter solemnly walked the towpath yodelling. He was good at it too.
He could be heard from a good distance and it was years before I actually got to see him.
The tale of the lone yodeler .. You're joking, right? Either way, that's a pretty good story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Wow, if that is stereotyping German people, if that was said about any other group of people that would be totally inappropriate. Don't worry it doesn't phase me in the least. I'm not offended. But because you said that, I'm a little confused whether you are really interested in yodelling or this is a joke thread.

Just in case you are serious about yodelling, I'll mention Slim Whitman. I don't know how serious other people take him as an artist, his music is old, but I like Old Country music over the newer junk. I really don't like American Country Music that much except for a few artist and he's one of my exceptions.
He has an amazing voice imo, he's the first singer who I began to appreciate a type of yodelling.
I have a lot of genuine fascination and respect for the german bavarian culture, but at the same time I have to admit that there are certain aspects of it that I find slightly comical. That's probably why it's a bit hard to tell wether or not I'm serious about yodeling. Don't worry though, I've got plenty of genuine admiration.

I haev quite a few german friends and some of them don't like Bavaria much and seem to think of it as an embarassment, which I think is sad. I consider the old bavarian culture colourful, warm, friendly and - okay, a bit funny. Been wanting to vacate to there for years now!

Thanks for sharing Slim Whitman's country yodel! I've yet to appreciate american yodel, but I thought the song was good. Since we got some american yodel here, I'll add some more variety by adding some australian yodeling.

Mary Schneider still has an alpish style and is quite known for yodeling to pieces by classical composers. I find that more comical than good and her songs are definetly funny, but what the heck. I couldn't find my favourite song from hers on youtube, but this one is good even if he doesn't showcase her talent that well.