Music Banter - View Single Post - J Dilla Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeguy View Post
I agree with most of you that DONUTS is his single best work. It's got to be one of the top 10 albums of this decade.

Even as a huge Dilla fan I have to disagree with this:

Dilla's cult is huge, and he has had hits, but he was never quite "prominent". After a ton of hits for artists like Q-Tip, Badu and Common in the late 90s & early 00's he tried to make a solo name for himself in 2002, which ended in disaster as his record label MCA collapsed. After this, Dilla went intensely underground, starting with Ruff Draft, then his stuff with Stones Throw. His rep & work from this point til his death was great, but he was very much UNDERGROUND. "Prominent" hip-hop producers are Neptunes, Timbaland, etc ... Dilla was never in that league, and still isn't.
Sure he was. His cult-like gathering was cultivating just before his death, it just grew a lot more after. Plus, he's considered to pioneer the neo-soul sound, and has influenced this generation's sound of hip hop.

And uh, if his lifetime isn't considered prominent - his posthumous success certainly is.

Quote:
Also disagree with this. Don't be so short sighted Jester! Go listen to Man's World and Stress, two great tracks produced by Dilla which never came out officially because of the samples used. Both found on youtube.
I'm not a fan of Guilty Simpson's flow, and he's incredibly one dimensional and boring.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote