Music Banter - View Single Post - Lateralus' Musical Meanderings
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Default Lateralus' Musical Meanderings

Music is a huge part of my life, as a both a listener and a creator of it. As a result this journal is going to contain a bit of everything... from my musical influences to gig reviews, favourite instruments and new bands I discover, my plights as a musician and pretty much just other random bits of music-related meanderings I feel that I'd like to include! So... enjoy?

Anyway, on to the first post, which I would like to dedicate to....

Bass Guitar

Ever since I can remember I have been extensively interested in the bass as an instrument and have often found myself marveling at its diversity that many people tend to overlook. Growing up learning classical piano, I was often laughed at or looked at funny when I ever mentioned that I wanted to learn to play funky, dirty bass lines; told that I wouldn't be able to do it and I'd be better off keeping my tiny hands on the piano keys. Recently I finally bought myself an electric bass guitar and I have to say that I am entirely and utterly in love - I haven't been able to detach myself from the instrument since.

There's something about bass that for me just brings the music alive; an awesome bass line or riff actually makes the music move. I love the diversity of techniques that can be used - plucking, slapping, popping, tapping, thumping... and there's just a warm kind-of buzz that I get when I play bass that doesn't happen when I'm playing guitar or piano. The bass guitar anchors the harmonic framework and lays down the beat, but it also has the opportunity to add character to the music.

Here's Flea talking about bass:

Other favourite bassists of mine also include James Jamerson (who in my opinion is a hugely influential bassist):

And Justin Chancellor (who brings his own uniqueness to the instrument and who personally made me think quite differently about bass):

Plus plenty, plenty more which I won't overload this first entry with, because I want to ask YOU, who your favourite bassist is, or what your favourite 'bass' moment in music is. Go!

Last edited by Astronomer; 11-22-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote