Music Banter - View Single Post - Education Vs. Creativity
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
You can't teach creativity, but you can teach someone to use their creativity I guess. Schools really take the imagination out of kids in my opinion, they're more concerned with what's "known" rather than exploring new things.
This is true, but I think the schooling system is changing rapidly (at least it is over here) to encompass the belief that creativity and innovation is the driving force behind success and fulfillment. I remember when I was in school, a lot of things that I did actually encouraged my creativity and imagination - I probably wouldn't have fully expressed myself in a way that I'd chosen if I didn't have the comfortable school environment, as well as nurturing teachers who encouraged to use our minds in our OWN why, not in a conventionally taught way or whatever.

And at university they teach future teachers to encourage students to think in their own way and use their own abilities in the way that fits them. Gone are the days of ROTE learning, now everything is about creativity, innovation, thinking outside the square, etc. Over here the schooling system has definitely changed drastically, in such a way that education does nurture creativity.