Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Varied/Least Varied Music
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Automatic Slim
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
If you look at things from the perspective of how limiting a gwnre's criteria is, then you get a more accurate answer to the question.

The most common criteria for metal is heavily distorted guitars, minor key signatures and a dynamically heavy beat and usually brooding or somewhat angry vocals. Obviously there are some exceptions to this. That puts a lot of restrictions on the amount of diversity within the genre.

Contrast that with pop music, which essentially is almost solely defined by it's formulaic song structure, which is ubiquitous in the world of modern music, and somewhat by it's lyrical content, which is also ubiquitous in modern music, and you see that the genre is not nearly as exclusive. You can have a pop song in a modern key or a minor key. You can have a pop song with distorted guitars, or clean guitars, or no guitars at all.

Metal on the other hand given the amount of criterial restrictions does have an insane amount of variety, but it cant compare to pop, which is virtually a blank canvas as far as composition goes.
That's an interesting way of thinking about it: how stringent are the restrictions. I hadn't thought of it that way. However, does pop in fact display the variety that one would expect, given that it has fewer restrictions than metal (and I presume you would also include jazz as having more restrictions)? Or could this be just unrealized potential?

I'm not saying that pop does not have the most variety. I may just not have heard it. I'm not very familiar with it. Can someone give more examples of how varied pop is?

A question for the people voting electronic or jazz. (Classical can have vocals.) I suspect that not having vocals is somewhat limiting. Why or why not?