Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles
Thread: The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #116 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead90 View Post
You tell me a rock song before 1966 that uses pre-recorded samples as a musical backdrop, looping, with a repeating up front drum n bass sound.
OK, you've got me on the drum n bass sound, but this predates it by 3 years;

...and this from 1967 should be on the list immediately after "Tomorrow Never Knows", if only for its huge influence on Fatboy Slim;

...and this, from the US, 1968;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post

...and with 'Tomorrow Never Knows' that track (even the whole UFO Club proto-rave culture in London) is really prescient and captured the vibe but somehow I doubt the originators - the guys experimenting with mixing for the dancefloor in the late 70's - referred back to 'Revolver'.
I think the drugs and the club culture necessitated the music rather than the other way round, in which case you could argue the amphetamine-fuelled all-nighters of 60's mods and northern soul as being 'influential', it all bleeds into funk and disco... the way I see it the umbrella of electronic dance music was an American innovation that blossomed abroad, there's alot to cover and not everyone's going to agree.

As has been said you can blame disco, Kraftwerk and synth pop classics I guess.

If only there were recordings from that time - your speculation has the ring of truth about it, but TNK is the earliest (and most popular, hence single most influential) document of this sort of music... unless you know of some?

Last edited by Certif1ed; 09-23-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote