Music Banter - View Single Post - Auto-Tune Abuse
Thread: Auto-Tune Abuse
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
The Unfan
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Yes, they are, but in very different ways. I just don't think using Auto-tune is the same as using a guitar pedal according to the reasons why people use Auto-tune (purely for pitch-correction and 'covering up' tonal flaws) verses the reasons why most musicians use guitar pedals (not to correct pitch but to manipulate sound in other ways). Yes, they are both a means to enhance and manipulate sound but they are definitely not the same thing.
As long as its acceptable to modify sound I don't see why we should draw the line at modifying it a specific way.

Quote:
I've come across a lot of people that call many other vocal processors 'autotune' when they aren't pitch correctors and they don't do the same thing as the original Auto-tune. Not all vocal processors do the same thing.
Thats different, and not quite what I'm on about. However, music that is fully digital, while still needing a composer, is performed by mechanical processes which don't make mistakes. Nobody would ever say that electronica isn't real music, so I don't see why using something to make your voice flawless is any different as far as the performance aspect.
The Unfan is offline   Reply With Quote