Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #4140 (permalink)
dollarsandcents
more tea vicar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post
Does Perfume stay true to the novel? I've never read Perfume but I've seen the film, so I was a little shocked to see how the movie progressed, without having any idea of what to expect. Somehow I think in text some of the scenes, particularly towards the end, would be alot easier to ingest.
The orgy scene right? Can imagine it was rather strange having not read the book!

I'd say they did to a large extent, probably because the author had a say. I heard it took him years and years to be convinced to sell the rights for a film production. At least half of the book (probably more) is devoted solely to his childhood and up until the point where Baldini's shop collapses and he leaves Paris, so I guess they missed out huge chunks of this. The book is unparalleled when it comes to describing how his nose allows him to smell things. It's worth reading just for this, really detailed and puts you in the position of Grenouile. Quite amazing. Other than that and the fact in the book they make Grenouille out to be repulsive to look at, it's quite faithful I'd say.

dollarsandcents is offline   Reply With Quote