Music Banter - View Single Post - Auto-Tune Abuse
Thread: Auto-Tune Abuse
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #50 (permalink)
The Unfan
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Haha. Whatever dude. It almost seems like you know someone or are someone who uses it, the way you're going about defending it.
No. I know some people who work in studios, and a few musicians, but none who openly use it. That is to say, the might, but if they did I wouldn't know. I'm defending it because I think its legit.

Quote:
Like I said, if you want to spend money on something that isn't genuine, you do that.
Using autotune doesn't make something not genuine. Rather it is a means to reach a genuine artistic expression that wouldn't be achieved otherwise.
Quote:
I'm not going to pay to see a singer use a device to help him sound better, because he really can't cut it by himself. And that's all it is.
So you're never going to a concert where someone sings ever? Mixers can adjust how much treble or bass is in a voice which can actually significantly change how a singer sounds. Most microphones have covers to dampen plosive noises.

Quote:
When auto-tune is used for that purpose, its because the singer can't cut it.
Plain and simple, like it or not, defend it all you want.
No it isn't. However, just for the sake argument let's assume you're right. So what? Who cares? The performance is what matters, and if using autotune enhances the performance why is that a bad thing?

Quote:
Making music using studio devices is one thing.
Using the studio to cover up your mistakes, is another.
It isn't a mistake if you intended to use autotune to fix your voice in the first place.

Edit: Acting is fine in music though. It is all art. What about Alice Cooper? Acting improved his stage presence considerably.
The Unfan is offline   Reply With Quote