Music Banter - View Single Post - Artist looking to begin recording.
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nicktarist
young gun funyun

Arrgg, Freebase Dali should appear here soon and give you kick-ass advice, but I'm gonna try my hand here. I personally prefer a 4-track over pro-tools or logic for the reason that it's easy to hook up and record on the fly. So, because I know Freebase is going to give you a manual on the digital route, I'll go ahead and give the analog alternative.

You can normally get your hands on a 4-track for about 3 to 5 hundred dollars. I prefer Tascam over most brands, but only because the Beatles used a custom version of the model that I own.

Microphone-wise, you should be fine with SM58s, but there are certainly other, better, alternatives. I'm tryin' to think of a specific mic that ranges around 100. x( urg, anyways, if you plan on recording drums, make sure you pick up two mics and normal and overhead stands for them. You'd normally place one overhead and one in between the snare and crash.

Make sure you stock up on quarter inch and mic cables. Those are priceless when it comes to recording. Don't forget the metrenome and wrap around headphones (with extensions).

You should also look into getting a cheap mixer or audio interface whether your working digitally or not. They're both easy to come by and niether are too expensive (though I did say cheap mixer--you really only need two channels)

I will say though: NEVER RECORD A GUITAR OR BASS DIRECTLY INTO THE COMPUTER. Mic the amp. When you record into the computer, the guitar will most likely have a heavy bit sound attached to it. I haven't heard a single computer that can record guitars directly without destroying the tone. The same is true with the 4 track. You should mic the amp instead of plugging in directly.

peace,
-nick
It only takes one jerk to prove any hypothesis absolutely false. Like, have you ever heard the rumor that you can drop cash on the street in Tokyo and the people are so honest that someone will find it, pick it up, and take it to the cops? Well, that's absolutely 100% not true, because I once found a plain envelope on the ground with "6,000 yen" written on it. Inside was 6,000 yen. I put it in my pocket and kept walking.
Nicktarist is offline   Reply With Quote