Music Banter - View Single Post - Simple Sounds Through Awkward Words - Reflective Impressions of 100 Works
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Well, I'm officially old.
First of all, when I was young (maybe your dad's age?) I couldn't walk two feet without bumping into a zealous REM lover and I hated it. They were one of the first bands that I petulantly thought of as "overrated". So it's kind of weird to me that you think of REM-love as something rare.
Also, Pavement is very important to me and I think they were generally closer in sound and style to PCP than REM. Still, you bring up a lot of good points about Crooked Rain (my 2nd favorite album of theirs - 3rd if you count the Watery, Domestic EP). CR actually got a lot of criticism from fans when it was released for the "polished" sound and the band responded by saying that they knew it was a pop album and they made a pop album because they like pop music (I guess you can insert REM references here) but that it doesn't mean they are not also (still) huge fans of Jesus Lizard.
Anyway, yours is a good analysis that and I'm just glad that Crooked Rain is popular with the kiddies regardless of why..
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote