Music Banter - View Single Post - Auto-Tune Abuse
Thread: Auto-Tune Abuse
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #61 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Unfan,
Pitch correction is basically the same as having an eraser on a pencil. If you don't fuck up, there isn't a need for it. But if you do, you have options.
I think the problem arises when producers are implementing auto-tuning options as a first line of defense, instead of working with the singer and allowing the natural talent of a singer to be expressed. It's a laziness in the recording industry that's may be causing technically pitch-perfect recordings, but at the same time, is causing disappointment when fans realize the musicians they love can't hold a tune during a concert. I don't know about you, but I like concerts who's bands don't sound like garbage.
Might be a personal thing though, so don't hold me to that.

It extends beyond the vocal realm though.
If you realized the full extent of the editing and modifying of ALL elements of a professionally recorded band, you'd be amazed.
I do understand that the end result is all that matters, but specifically in the context of live performances, you can generally get a very good idea of which bands made it because of true talent, and which ones just made it because they had a good producer, mixer, and mastering engineer.