Music Banter - View Single Post - Are 400 watts this quiet?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
gill tunnel
Groupie

Default Are 400 watts this quiet?

I bought two 200 watt PA speakers (Yorkville YX12) and a 235 watt amp/mixer (Yorkville MP6D2). The volume did not go as loud as a drum set. The volume was not too far from reaching that point but is wasn’t there. so I returned the amp/mixer and got an 800 watt (2x 400watt) amp/mixer (Yorkville M810). The volume STILL did not go as loud as a drum set so I returned the 200 watt speakers for 400 watt speakers. It STILL wasn’t loud enough.
What is the deal-e-o?
The speakers are almost as big as my drum set, all together it was almost $2000, my 75 watt guitar amp goes louder than a drum set when distortion is turned on, why won’t a 2x400 watt amp/mixer going to two 400 watt speakers go as loud as a drum set?
Why would someone spend the $350 I spent to upgrade ($350 is the difference) from two 200 watt speakers to two 400 watt speakers if they don’t go any louder?
Likewise, going from a 235 watt amp to a 2x400 didn’t seem to make much of a difference in volume.
Have I been under a false impression that watts and volume are related in any way?

And one more question: what would you recommend I get that goes louder than a drum set, is less than $2000, can play many instruments at the same time, has a bunch of inputs, pan, and can play any type of instrument?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
gill tunnel is offline   Reply With Quote