Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #32 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

Default Weekly Albums #11

Album: 1. The White Stripes – Elephant
Year: 2003
Genre: Alternative Rock

Arguably the best output by one of my favourite bands, The White Stripes. The band are similar to Death personally, as throughout their catalogue of albums there are no black sheep, all quality. If you have yet to listen to TWS then I would recommend this album first.

To begin with it contains the defining moment in the bands commercial history, Seven Nation Army. Although, the album has a lot more to offer so don’t just think this is a one hit wonder album. A true case of keeping it simple can work to make good music. Case in point, Meg is not the most proficient drummer by a long shot, but the role she plays in the band is vital and her overall simplistic yet unique style of drumming is what I have grown to love the most about the band.

The final track off the album is a really fine finish to the album, showing the sense of humour and enjoyment of making such a record, even though the overall tone of the album is of depression and darker than any of their other work, by including what I would refer to as a dialogue between Meg, Jack and Holly.

Highlight: Odd choice but “Its True That We Love One Another”

Album: 2. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band – Lick My Decals off, Baby!
Year: 1970
Genre: Avant-garde/Experimental

The grand-daddy of avant-garde music, Captain Beefheart, once again graces the world with another gem of music that one wouldn’t expect to be made by a human but rather buy a sheet of aluminium or something non-living. You could pick from a handful of his albums as the best albums he has, this is just my preference. 1. Lick My Decals Off, Baby, 2. Safe As Milk, 3. Trout Mask Replica

I would highly recommend this to anyone who feels that the music they are listening to lacks any panache or mojo to it, as this album will certainly blow your socks off. Before you even listen to the album you know you are in for an experience with a title like that, “Lick My Decals Off, Baby.”

There is not much to be said about the actual music that in on the album, I cannot find any words to describe it other that ‘different.’

Highlight: Lick My Decals Off, Baby

Album: 3. 10000 Maniacs – MTV Unplugged
Year: 1993
Genre: Rock

I have to admit upfront that this album has been played so many times in my household since I was born that we have had to buy a new copy 3 times, so we can see the bias to this album could override true reflections.

A collection of the most beautiful music that I have heard so far, which never seems to fail to thrill me. There is so much going on in this album that you need to listen to it a few times to piece all the various parts together. To name a few: We have a mini-orchestral set in the background containing bassoons, a banjo, cello, viola, violin, mandolin, organ, guitars (Acoustic, slide), pianos and organs. If that is not enough to set the seen there is the 10000 Maniacs band who between them utilize over 10 instruments and work perfectly with the additional musicians…. You thought I was finished? Oh no, I save the best for last…. NATALIE MERCHANT! Natalie fronted the and at this time and was 10000 Maniacs in my opinion, as after she left it was foolish to carry on without her. She plays piano during the show and also she is the lead vocalist, both of which she really grips you with.

On a side-note, I would advise that you check out her solo album, “Ophelia.”

Highlight: Because The Night

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote