Music Banter - View Single Post - Alan Watts
Thread: Alan Watts
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 AM   #49 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
How did you know he was real? I think my main problem with your explanation is that you give God the credit for cleaning up your act. However, did God force you to act that way? No. You cleaned up your act because you chose to. You recognized your freedom to change your life and you changed it by your will. You didn't need God to do that. You needed self-esteem and self-realization.

Secondly, telling me that "God touches people in ways your wouldn't understand" isn't a good argument. From that sentence you even assume I can't understand it. Why bring it to the conversation?

Their life may be more meaningful in the eyes of a Christian. However, giving God the credit for your actions deprives your life of meaning in itself. You choose to sacrifice the search for meaning by negating your mind. You haven't found it. You chose to recognize meaning in God. Is it really any more meaningful than selfish happiness?
There was no reason for me to change my attitude. It happened within an instant. I didn't want to change my ways but that day I realised I needed to from the overwhelming feeling I've got.

Because unless you feel God's touch, you won't understand, and you've just confirmed that.

I give God credit for providing the opportunity for me to be successful and make the most of the opportunities he provides. I have perfectly good self esteem thank you. Selfish happiness doesn't necessarily mean you are going to devote your self to others and live beyond your own wants and needs.