Music Banter - View Single Post - The Vinyl Collector's Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

THE Led Zep II to own is a UK pressing, on the "Plum and Orange" Atlantic label. If yours is a UK press, but on Green and Orange, then it won't sound nearly as good - the vinyl is a much cheaper compound, and lighter weight - and that makes a difference on any system. Also check the cover - if it's dark brown, then it's a recent cover. If it's light brown (and probably a bit battered looking), it's an early 1970s sleeve. If it's got "Livin' Lovin' Wreck" instead of "Livin' Lovin' Maid", it could be worth £100's.

The "Plum and Orange" LZII is not only a joy to hear, and significantly better than later presses, it's the ultimate test of your music system; Turn that sucker right up, and the thing comes alive in terms of dynamic range.

I'm not saying that this is my favourite album or anything that shallow - it really is a good test.

I got a copy of "Katy Lied" and hated the music. Sorry - this time I'm being shallow - I know it's a finely produced album!

The Blonde on Blonde album's a good pick, though - I'll have a look into the original and value.

I can help you with "Help", though - for starters, does the label have Parlophone written in yellow, is it Mono or stereo, and, if the cover has "flipbacks", can you see if it was printed by Garrod and Lofthouse or E. J. Day?
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote