Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #119 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

Count Five - Psychotic Reaction
(1966)

Tracks

1 Double-Decker Bus 2:00
2 Pretty Big Mouth 2:09
3 The World 2:11
4 My Generation 3:05
5 She's Fine 2:12
6 Psychotic Reaction 3:06
7 Peace of Mind 2:19
8 They're Gonna Get You 2:28
9 The Morning After 1:57
10 Can't Get Your Loving 1:45
11 Out in the Streets 2:26

Formed in San Jose in 1965 and only lasting a mere two years, Count Five were just another chapter of the splurge that was the west coast Garage explosion of the mid sixties. Easily dismissible as a one hit wonder, many collectors and experts would argue that bands like The Seeds, The Standells and The Chocolate Watchband left much more of a lasting memory than Count Five ever did. But I reckon this band might be worth another look.

In 1966, Count Five released their one and only LP, named after their big hit. It’s probably easier and lets be honest, fitting, to begin therefore with that inspiring song which has made Count Five famous throughout the ages. The title track of Psychotic Reaction is a thing of beauty, a pure garage classic which is one of the few songs from the garage era that I think could be played to the uninitiated and instantly convert them, it has everything, an unstoppable rhythm and beat, a hypnotic guitar and one of the most brilliant pieces of harmonica play ever conceived, an English R&B standard with a bit of American grit, marvellous.

Now at this point, many observers would stop there, but I reckon a band that created a song as glorious as Psychotic Reaction, might have a few more aces up their sleeve. And indeed the album does have its moments; there is the sleazy Pretty Big Mouth, a song which does the job. More garage pleasantries follow with The World and Out In The Street. The best song outside the big hit though is They’re Gonna Get You, which includes some well placed high pitched singing. But Count Five were no Sonics, away from these highlights they do struggle to make that leap to the next level, but that in some ways is part of their charm.

It goes without saying that perhaps Psychotic Reaction is not one of thee landmark garage albums like Here Are The Sonics or No Way Out, but I have to say that it is certainly a tier two must have after your toe is well and truly happy in the water. For me Psychotic Reaction does have enough moments on it to keep your attention and does merit a purchase from the more advanced sixties garage connoisseurs out there, quite a freakishly decent listen actually.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote