Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #942 (permalink)
WolfAtTheDoor
ironing your socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post

Well, instead of bringing up Halo again I'll just talk about FPS games as a whole because it's all very damn redundant. Aside from coming up with some very creative weapons and upping the online multiplayer features, there's not a whole lot of innovation being made in terms of the core gameplay. In the end the goal is always the same, shoot everything that moves and.... well that's pretty much it.
?
Couldn't that be said for every genre in existence? Platformers - reach the end of the level, beat the boss, etcetc

I think as the years go by gamers are less satisfied with the 'shoot everything that moves' approach, that's how old-school Contra-esque shoot-em-ups worked. Nowadays gamers want strategy, narrative and an immersive storyline. The nuclear bomb in Call of Duty 4 was one of the most edge of our seat moments in gaming that I've ever experienced. I'd personally say the FPS genre has it's share of shambolic efforts, perhaps moreso than other genres because of its immense popularity, but as a whole I'd say it is the genre that's experienced the most progression.
WolfAtTheDoor is offline   Reply With Quote