Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #948 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by matious View Post
okay

Okay. Excluding four swords (which i honestly forgot about, so good point) they all have the same progression. You wake up without your green tunic, run around the village doing some mundane tasks, someone you care about gets kidnapped (usually a blonde girl) your go through dungeons getting the same items and upgrades as every zelda.
Ok, but every FPS has the same progression so your argument is pointless. When a game is part of a certain genre it's gonna be limited to a certain kind of progression.

Platformer - Kill/Avoid the bad guys, get to the goal, fight boss, bonus stage, repeat.

Fighter - Fight, fight, fight, bonus stage, fight, fight, fight, bonus stage, fight fight fight.

RPG - Level up, have character join party, explore a dungeon, fight bad guys, have character join party, explore a dungeon, level up some more, fight more bad guys, etc.

Racing - Beat the track, beat the track, beat the track, beat the track, beat the track.

Action adenture - Explore, get items, go through dungeon, get items, solve puzzles, fight boss, explore, get items, explore dungeon, get items, solve puzzles, fight boss, get items, explore some more, etc.

FPS - Shoot sh*t, find more weapons to shoot sh*t with and shoot some more sh*t.... that's it.

You can pretty much describe any genre this way. They could all be considered repetitive but I'd say FPS is the most oversaturated genre (yes even more than RPGs) in the end.

Quote:
I love it because of the nostalgia, but if i hadn't grown up with ocarina, i honestly couldnt picture myself giving a **** about the series.

And your lying if you didn't find the triforce fetch-quest in Wind Waker monotonous >: [
No, I love the fetch quests. That's the whole idea of an action-adventure game, explore and get all the good stuff.

Quote:
It was a joke. Your arguments against everything ps3/360 make you come off just as biased and irrational as the people who dislike everything nintendo/sega.

Their argument is nintendo is all "kiddy"

yours being everything modern lacks imagination and depth.

I'm not saying that, I just think the FPS is the least evolved yet most overcrowded and least appealing of the mainstream genres.

I find that a lot of platformers, fighters, rpgs or whatever have their own unique identity even if they follow the same progression, the exceution is different. My problem with FPS is that so freaking many seem to be executed in the same way and I have a difficult time telling any of them apart.

Oh and when comparing Contra to a FPS, for one Contra games are super challenging and with varied level design that keeps you on your toes. In most FPS games, the variety in level design is superficial at best.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 09-28-2009 at 07:14 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote