Music Banter - View Single Post - Female Rap
Thread: Female Rap
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
Yes, something along the Shapeshifters album, poetic political writing with sort of melancholy sound. Locusts is my favorite track, really like the development theme and all the emotions it evokes. Hmm, feel like Im not explaining it well, but there you go.
I'm not really a political rap guy, but for something melancholic and poetic, you might like some anticon. stuff, maybe.

DoseOne - Hemispheres (I think it's kind of dull, personally, but a lot of people I know seem to like it.)

Sample:
DoseOne - Etherial Downtime

Not sure why, but I felt like I should include Alias in here. He's pretty directly poetic, and he avoids slang. (Again, it kind of takes away excitement for me, but hey, super-literate rap has its place.) If you're interested, try Alias - The Other Side of the Looking Glass.

Sample:
Alias - Watching Water

A lot of anticon. stuff is extremely poetic, backpacker / left-field / alternative / whatever you want to call it stuff. Those two albums are definitely not the best on anticon., if you want to delve (did I use that right?) deeper into the collective, let me know, I'll hook you up.

Maybe some Def Jux stuff, too. Try El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead.

Sample:
El-P - The Overly Dramatic Truth

If you like that, check out anything by Aesop Rock. (His best albums are Labor Days, and then Float.)

Back to political rap: I'm not a politics guy, so I really can't give you much to work with, sorry. When I want to hear political rap, I just listen to Public Enemy (maybe because I guess I'd be labeled an anarchist in my political views). But I will say that I recommend staying away from conspiracy rap garbage. (That's you, Immortal Technique fanboys.) It suffers from being boring / monochromatic.

Any other questions, let me know.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote