Music Banter - View Single Post - The most annoying person in music?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #89 (permalink)
tgpo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshat View Post
....I used to idolize him as a teen but gradually starting disliking hum.In any interview I've read or that I've seen he never really responds in earnest but just spouts cliche left wing rhetoric about how left wing he is.(My problem isn't that he's left wing,it's that he's an egocentric blowhard). He just gives me the impression that in reality he's a sheltered middle class college prick, who's putting on a facade....the fact that he tried to spin a business dispute with the ex dead kennedy's as more than a business dispute,proves it for me.(he had a problem with them licensing DK songs when he had already done it several times himself).
The Dead Kennedys are my favorite band, and I feel this too. But I think this is more a product of him finding his section of this world, finding out how to make a living doing it, and doing what he enjoys for a job.

He appears to be earnest in his attempts to educate the punk kids during his time in Dead Kennedys. His songs touched on subjects that were important for kids to pay attention to, but often ignored, and for that he's at least awesome for his past contributions to the genre.

Quote:
...plus the DK's weren't punk rock...they were just a really bad campy theatre show.
That's just a pot shot, not a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
while that's what he's become his book 'get in the van' is a must read for anyone interested in old school punk rock and the realities of being an independent band on the road. could do without the personal police hate but whatever
It's on my list of books to read.

In my opinion, he is the worst thing to ever happen to Black Flag. They had so much promise early on, only to see it evaporate intheir face when they tapped Rollins as their new lead singer.